This Blog has moved to http://www.falsepositives.com/

False Positives Adventures in Technology, SciFi and Culture from Toronto

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Here be monsters : Cory Doctorow's "Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town" in the Globe and Mail

Kelly McManus reviews 's "" in the The Globe and Mail Book section :

The novel presents some of Doctorow's most striking insights into the cultural implications of new technologies, making it his best work to date.
...
Doctorow suggests that the notions of high and low tech, archaic and advanced, have less to do with the technologies we create than with the ways that we use them.

Having recently finished Cory's novel myself, reading it on my pda, and buying a signed and sealed copy from Baka, I found that Cory has improved in his story telling and in crafting the characters in its - mostly - setting. Although maybe not as meaty as "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" or "" for bright and shiny ideas, it is better structured (paced?) that the extended short story of "Down and Out" and stronger characters than "Eastern Standard".

I'm looking forward to his next novel.

del.icio.us Tags: ; Technorati Tags:


Please Note that this Blog (False Positives) has moved to http://www.falsepositives.com/

1 Comments:

  • I didn't like Eastern Standard Tribe as much as Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, which I loved. But I think I'll read this new one if it's supposedly his "best work to date."

    By Blogger Graham, at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home